Friday, August 13, 2010

The End and the Beginning

On the occasion of the end of this course, I would like to share the following conclusions with you:



The minimum timeframe that R has suggested is particularly helpful: it keeps the work load (relatively) manageable and allows me to say it is time to move on to the next unit.

There is a clear relationship between the lectures, the readings, and the discussions. I have found the open discussion and assignment sharing format very informative and the detailed feedback particularly engaging since it compels me to re-examine my own perceptions.

This blog is a desire on my part to challenge myself to move into different forms of expression. I have used PowerPoint extensively in the past, and I have also written quite a few papers as well, and I believe that learning only happens when I remove myself from a point of complacency. It is a feeling of some discomfort. Convenience has nothing to do with my reasons for creating this blog.

“Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.” Arnold Bennett (novelist and playwright)

As Satterlee captures so succinctly in her writing, the adult learner has many conflicting commitments in her daily life, and sometimes it means that there is a compromise in other areas of her life. I truly appreciate the fact that R has indicated the timeframe necessary to complete each component; although, I must confess that I actually spend more time working on these modules rather than the standard 10 hours.  In a busy life, it is difficult to have time to meditate and mull over new ideas, to find time for challenging discussions, and to push yourself into a new mindset.

Have I learned a lot in this course? The answer is a resounding yes; however, I have not been satisfied with my own expression of that learning within the timeframe of this course. In other words, I believe that I have not been able to convey the depth of and shifts in my understanding of what it means to teach in an Intercultural context in a way that truly captures my personal and professional growth. Consequently, I have decided to continue with a blog to capture the growth in my learning well after the course has ended.

Have I become metacognitive?  Maybe, maybe not.  But I think I am on the journey in that direction. 

Resource:
Satterlee, A. (2002). Conflict resolution strategies for the adult higher education student. Report for the United States Army War College. Carlisle, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment